First port in the Northwest. A maritime archaeological survey of Cossack 25–30 June 2012
Author/s Anderson, R.
Year of publication 2014
Report Number: No. 297
Cossack was the first port in Western Australia’s Northwest, and operated from 1862 to around the 1920s before being abandoned as a commercial port. Today it is one of the State’s most significant historical archaeological precincts. Between 25 and 30 June 2012 the Western Australian Museum’s Department of Maritime Archaeology visited Cossack to survey for archaeological remains of shipwrecks, port and maritime infrastructure, and sites related to maritime industries and maritime exploration. A number of new maritime archaeological sites were recorded including eight shipwrecks, mainly lying in the inter-tidal zone of the Butcher Inlet foreshore.